[Retracted] WASD Movement

Chris of GGG has confirmed that WASD will not be added here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPfUcXP7AhM&t=37m40s

His reasoning makes a lot of sense. Basically, the pathfinding that occurs when you move by mouse gives the server some information about where the player will be before they get there, ensuring that players are blocked in by monsters when they should be, and can't pass through a monster due to server lag.

So, while I'd be interested to see if hard-blocking and WASD movement can coexist in games that aren't as strictly competitive as Path of Exile, I'm retracting this suggestion.

Thanks to everyone who argued for or against this suggestion respectfully and thoughtfully!

--------------------------------------------------

- It has been implemented successfully in other isometric games:
-- Mythos
-- Project Zomboid
-- Alien Swarm
-- Bastion
- It's simply more comfortable for many players, which increases immersion and play-time.
- It allows the player a little added freedom to dodge and weave between enemies and projectiles.
- It's another useful feature that Diablo doesn't have.
- Adding the option doesn't prevent anyone from moving with the mouse alone.

Post if you think players should have options for controlling their character.

**UPDATES**
- I am NOT advocating for changing the camera angle or iso style! This would work fine with a fixed camera. (See Project Zomboid)
- If you want to keep the QWERT skill mapping, just map your keys that way and don't use WASD movement.
- WASD movement does NOT prevent you from aiming and targeting with the mouse. WASD and the mouse work together, not against each other.
Last edited by Vinsurgent on Jan 23, 2012, 3:01:01 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Hm... I recently just started getting into POE, so my knowledge about the game is pretty limited so I can't really say much about implementing WASD into POE, but... I've played other games that does use the WASD system for movement, and I must say it does provide a lot of benefits, but at the same time... when I think about it... it's like implementing WASD into Diablo 2, and knowing how their camera system works... I can't really get a grasp as to how well WASD would operate in that type of game. Games that i've played with bird eyes view of players include WoW and other MMORPGS, and their camera system is pretty much controlled by holdin down right click and move the angles of the camera to see better, but in a game where the angle is pretty much set at one point, would WASD really be better? I don't really know how i feel about this because i never experienced a game with one fixed camera angle (@ birds eye view), and at the same time has WASD movement keys. It'll be interesting to see it though. Maybe you can give me some games that are like that and i'll check it up on youtube. I just checked out Mythos, and the Camera angle isn't fixed, you can change it vertically, horizontally and all that other jazz. Actually... now that i think about it, i'm not even sure if POE is like diablo 2, where the camera is at a fixed angle. From watching Lumin... i'm pretty sure he wasn't able to really move his camera angle around.
Last edited by AkaRainer on Aug 16, 2011, 11:04:36 PM
wasd support would be awesome thing in this game.

+1 for the idea
In all the ARPG's I've played that have WASD movement, your camera angle also changes the direction the player is facing and that doesnt seem like it would work very well with a fixed camera. Not to mention some of the skills keys are boung to "QWERT" by default.

I'm not against the idea if they can implement it well, but I'm just as happy with the point and click mehtod
Last edited by bottleflu on Aug 17, 2011, 12:37:45 AM
"
bottleflu wrote:
In all the ARPG's I've played that have WASD movement, your camera angle also changes the direction the player is facing and that doesnt seem like it would work very well with a fixed camera. Not to mention some of the skills keys are boung to "QWERT" by default.

I'm not against the idea if they can implement it well, but I'm just as happy with the point and click mehtod

It works perfectly fine in bloodline champions with a locked camera
Oh, I've never played Bloodline. I'll have to check it out
It's fine the way it is, it is faster and it doesn't NEED to be chewed up and spit out... however it would make a nice OPTION, same as a "windows controller" and console ports... That being said, you NEED to play the game, the gameplay is way too fast and furious (unlike those crappy highly overrated movies...) to get out of bad situations with WASD right now!
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
I prefer the dota, hon, lol way of controlling your character because it allows ease of skill use while allowing for complicated skill effects.
I don't think that WASD movement is a good choice for PoE. The way you can control your character at the moment is just the right. Movement with mouse, skills on QWERT and the 3 mousebuttons. You can cast your spells really fast in ticklish situations. This is prooved by HoN, DotA and LoL.
Your signature here...
I hope you're kidding. WASD controls would not work for this type of game. They've always been dreadfully implemented and they always feel stiff and boring. Mouse controls are far superior.
Joined Closed Beta 20th August 2011

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info